King Black Dragon - Boss Guide

Arcadiez

fWF6FRC.png

odjKF5v.pngThe King Black Dragon,
is an enormous, three-headed black dragon. He was the second dragon ever, created by Kerapac's fellow dragonkin Phalaks, a failed project intended to replicate the powerful Queen Black Dragon some time in or before the First Age. One decade later, he was released into the Wilderness.

5t8tqKJ.png

You can teleport to King Black Dragon with the Teleportation Menu. Go to Bosses - King Black Dragon.

You can also use Edgeville Lodestone and run North-West until you get to the boss lair.

jpFMrJG.png

You can enter King Black Dragon lair by clicking on the Artefact.
You can click on the Information Board located outside the Boss Area to see the Highscore for killcount and fastest kill.

tZREYWT.png

Setup/Gear suggestions

Fal2bW2.png

I recommend doing range as you can use dragonbane bolts. Here are some examples for range gear.

Low tier - Range

• Royal d'hide/Karil body, legs, helmet
  • Royal d'hide vambraces/boots
  • Amulet of fury, Ring of fortune
  • Dragonbane bolts(find more info in tips section)
  • Firecape/Ava's accumulator
  • Armadyl crossbows/dragon crossbows

dj1W2eX.png

Inventory

• Super antipoison
  • Super restore
  • Prayer potion
  • Extreme Defence
  • Extreme Ranging
  • Food(example sharks)

pOvHRct.png

Mid tier - Range

• Armadyl legs, chestplate, helmet, boots
  • Tracking gloves or Armadyl gloves
  • Dual Chaotic Crossbows or Armadyl crossbows
  • Fire cape/ 99 cape/TookHar-Kal-Xil cape
  • Amulet of fury, Ring of fortune
  • Saradomin godbook*

WhUo02f.png

Inventory

• Sharks for food
  • Prayer restore/super restore flask
  • Overload flask

VaLzqYK.png

High tier - Range

• Pernix/sirenic body,legs,hood
  • Ascension crossbows/Kalphite repriser
  • Glavien boots/Flarefrost boots
  • Max cape/Comp cape/TookHar-Kal-Xil cape
  • Cinderbane gloves/pernix gloves/Ascension grips
  • Luck of the dwarves/Hazelmere's signet ring/Ring of death
  • Reaper necklace/amulet of souls/amulet of souls(or)

D5D66bp.png

Inventory

• Supreme overload potion(6)
  • Super Prayer renewal potion(6)
  • prayer potions
  • Super antipoison potion

I5IpXAN.png

KBD Mechanics

0duoRqJ.png

King Black Dragon Attacks

The King Black Dragon has various attacks. His melee attacks include a lunge attack (in which the middle head lunges forward to attack you) and a slashing attack (in which the King Black Dragon jumps and rends you with his claws). Both attacks deal the same amount of damage.

pnhvBf9.pngAs with all dragons, the King Black Dragon uses normal dragonfire.
Dragonfire can be prevented by using some sort of anti dragon fire item/gear/perk. Lets go through these.

Gear:

• The Anti-dragon shield. The shield has identical stats to the bronze kiteshield, but also has the ability to reduce the damage taken from the magical fire-breath of dragons. Can be bought from GE or Miscellaneous shop at ;;market
  • The Dragonfire shield (ward/Deflector) is an anti-dragon shield that has been fused with a draconic visage. Requiring 70 Defence to equip

Potions:

• Antifire potions. Offers 6 min protection. Requires 69 in Herblore to make. (Can be bought from Tang at ;;market)
  • Super antifire potion. Full protection against dragonfire also offers 6 min protection. Requires 85 in Herblore to make.
  • Wyrmfire potion. 6 dose instead of 4. Full protection against dragonfire also offers 6 min protection. Requires 89 in Herblore to make.
  • Brightfire potion. 6 dose instead of 4. Full protection against dragonfire also offers 6 min protection and passive prayer point restoration. Requires 94 in Herblore to make.
  • Searing overload potion. 6 dose instead of 4. Full protection against dragonfire also offers 6 min protection and overload effect. Requires 97 in Herblore to make.
  • Overload salve. 6 dose instead of 4. Full protection against dragonfire also offers 6 min protection and overload effect, prayer potion and super antipoison. Requires 97 in Herblore to make.
  • Supreme overload salve. 6 dose instead of 4. Full protection against dragonfire also offers 6 min protection and same effect as overload salve but combat stat buffs are increased from the 'extreme' to 'supreme' levels. Requires 99 in Herblore to make.

Perk: (Highly recommended to get)

Bad Breath

O2IiwxO.png

bno7yoW.pngThe poisonous dragonfire can inflict poison, up to 3 minutes.
Poison can be prevented/removed by using some sort of anti poison potion.

Potions:

• Antipoison. Reduces and cures poison damage by 100% for 86 seconds(1min 26s). Requires level 13 in Herblore to make.
  • Super Antipoison Reduces and cures poison damage by 100% for 346 seconds(5min 46s). Requires level 48 in Herblore to make. Can be bought from Tang's store at ;;market
  • Overload salve. 6 dose instead of 4. Full protection against dragonfire also offers 6 min protection and overload effect, prayer potion and super antipoison. Requires 97 in Herblore to make.
  • Supreme overload salve. 6 dose instead of 4. Full protection against dragonfire also offers 6 min protection and same effect as overload salve but combat stat buffs are increased from the 'extreme' to 'supreme' levels. Requires 99 in Herblore to make.

Aura:

You can use poison purge aura to heal from the poison rather than it damaging you.

FBLKniq.png

• Tier 1 Poison purge aura. 2750 Loyalty points. 10 minutes.
  • Tier 2 Greater Poison purge aura. 12,500 Loyalty points. 20 minutes.
  • Tier 3 Master Poison purge aura. 32,500 Loyalty points. 30 minutes.
  • Tier 4 Supreme Poison purge aura. 51,500 Loyalty points. 60 minutes.

TOk3rx5.pngThe freezing dragonfire binds the player for several seconds.
This attack can't be avoided and should be disregarded. Just re-click on the boss.

6kao7sX.pngThe shocking dragonfire can lower all stats by 2.
This attack can't be avoided for say, but can be restores with a restore potion or overload etc.

My strategy/Tips

My personally strategy is as follows.

I put on Auto Retaliate. Take out my Legendary pet to pick up drops. I start an insane Instant (fastest spawn).

I pray Soul Split(for healing) and Desolation for increased damage. Then i Just afk for ~10min until i need to drink potions again

I will do enough damage that I don't have to think about healing as my Soul split will take care of that. However I have to pay extra attention to my prayer drain.

Gear

D5D66bp.png

Inventory

I5IpXAN.png

Tips:

I recommend to bring to a bonecrusher or put it in your toolbelt. If you combine this with a Demon Horn Necklace then you don't have to think about Prayer drain.

Penance Aura will gain prayer equal to 5% of any damage you receive. Which helps with prayer drain.

Luck

Bring all sort of Luck improved items such as Luck of the dwarves ring to increase the chance of a better drop.

You can find more info at the Luck FAQ.

Link: https://velheim.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1035-frequently-asked-questions-faq/&do=findComment&comment=4549

Game Perks

I would recommend to the following game perks. These will help you out with all sort of PVM content.

• Friendly Familiar. Increases familiar (summoning pet) timers by 50% and max health by 25%.
  • Bad Breath. Acts as an invisible dragonfire shield and protects you from dragon fire attacks.
  • Prayer Party. Slows down prayer drain by 50%, does not work in the wilderness(Disclaimer works for King Black Dragon)
  • Herbivore. All monster will have a chance at dropping a box that yields 10 random grimy herbs and increases potion timers by 2 times.
  • Pyromancy. Increased bonfire spirit chance by 25% and increased health boost while stoking bonfire by 50%
  • Robin and Ava. Automatically picks-up any dropped ammunition while ranging(like ava)
  • Overclocking. Increases aura active times by 50% and decreases aura recharge times by 50%(basically double the time of all your auras)
  • Paramedic. All healing is now 15% stronger. This woks on ALL healing aspects(vampyrism aura, blood spells, food, saradomin brews etc.) Does not work in the Wilderness(Disclaimer works for King Black Dragon)
  • Proficient Inventor. Proficient Inventor has only 1 purpose and it is to slow down Invention charge usage by 25%.

Dragonbane Bolts

With perks like these and dragonbane bolts you have the ultimate AFK killing.

King Black Dragon can be killed with any combat style as he's weak against them all. However I recommend doing range as you can use Dragonbane bolts. Dragonbane bolts increase the damage up to 40% against Dragons which will make a big difference.

How to make Dragonbane bolts

Dragonbane bolts are bolts made to kill dragons, requiring 60 Ranged to wield. When used against dragons, these bolts deal 40% more damage

Dragonbane bolts do not work on skeletal wyverns, as they are not classified as dragons.

Making the bolts:
80 Mining is needed to mine the banite ore, unless purchased from the Grand Exchange/player

You can get banite ore by teleporting to the glacor cave mines in the teleportation menu.

LVP4H5M.png

Once you have gotten a lot of banite ore you need to make them into dragonbanite ore.
87 Magic (boostable) is then needed to use the Tune Bane Ore lunar spell on an item from a dragon, such as dragon bones or dragonhide in your inventory. This will turn one bane ore in your inventory into dragonbanite ore. The dragon item used will not be lost.

WZkpZs8.png

The spell requires:

• 4 Earth runes
  • 2 Astral runes
  • 1 Banite ore

H9PS40y.png

Now go to a furnace. Click on Banite ore and scroll until you find Dragonbane bar. Make Dragonbane bars out of the dragonbanite ore.

vnTjfdv.png

Next step is to Deposit the Dragonbane bar into either the furnace or the forge.

shsHlO6.png

Now got to an Anvil and click on Dragonbane bar and make Bolts(unf)

GKVoNQk.png

Now feather the bolts to make dragonbane bolts.

cqrpBi4.png

Congratulation your hard work has finally payed off.
Now you can do more damage towards Dragons! Good luck! :D

TIP: You can change spell-book a the chaos altar located at Home.

7nbtUJS.png

Legendary pet

Legendary pet. A Legendary pet has the ability to pick up dropped items. Which is very good for collecting things like Yew logs, Runes etc.

A Legendary pet cost 1,500 VC

Slayer

You can also kill King Black Dragon on Black Dragon tasks which let you use the XMNsb50.png Slayer Helmet which gives you more damage.

Following slayer master can give the task.

OCXgHPh.pngSumona. Requires 90 Combat and 35 Slayer.

20wgDyQ.png Duradel. Requires 100 Combat and 50 Slayer.

fr2GTwG.png Kuradel. Requires 110 Combat and 75 Slayer.

XdXv9m8.png Morvran. Requires 120 Combat and 85 Slayer.

Drops

wqKsaOg.png

You can right click and Examine King Black Dragon to see the drop rates.

Always Drop

41yrQo6.pngDragon Bones
EgQWrgu.pngBlack Dragonhide

Main Drops

KhE2egL.png

Tertiary drops

TiYOwI8.pngThe draconic visage is an item that is used to create the Dragonfire shield.
Players with level 90 Smithing can combine an anti-dragon shield with the visage to create a dragonfire shield

xwYD59H.pngStarved ancient effigy, An effigy that gives Experience in several different skills of your choice. Also has a chance of giving the effigy pet.

hOHnKNS.pngKing Black Dragon head. It can then be mounted in a player-owned house in the Skill Hall at level 78 Construction using 2 mahogany planks and 2 gold leaves.

zm00jJr.pngThe king black dragon scale is an item dropped by the King Black Dragon that can be used to unlock the miniature-boss pet King Black Dragonling.

You can obtain hard and elite Clue scrolls from King Black Dragon.

This monster has access to the rare drop table.
Luck-enhancing items such as a ring of wealth or luck of the dwarves are not required to access the table.

Link: https://runescape.wiki/w/Rare_drop_table

Title

You can also Obtain the [Name] the Last Rider. Title by completing the Boss log.

vOIgQit.png

• Like 4

yyUGgRX.gif

Spoiler

5fykfZT.png

Vfq9KMH.png Top notch mod response

Dr43bVV.png

HtDQuEI.png

MmmxLIm.png

ImpFutp.png

gsJ07BN.png

• 51 years later...