Locked Invention Perks Handbook (work in progress)

The Map

Invention Perks Handbook WIP

This guide is an attempt to make an easily browsable reference sheet for creating the best-in-slot perks for all types of gear.  It is by no means meant to be a full blown invention guide, but rather a useful always up-to-date reference for useful perks information. 

PROTIP: Hit CTRL+F and type in your weapon / armour / tool name and see if we have a listing for the best perks. If not, please ask by posting a reply.

If you notice any errors or have suggestions for improvements please leave a reply below so we can work together to keep it updated.

How to start Invention

Required skills to start:

80 Crafting, 80 Divination, 80 Smithing

Where to start:

Hit CTRL+T to open the Velheim teleportation menu, choose the last (Miscellaneous) tab and click on Invention Guild and complete the tutorial.

image.png.0d880a0cbd685bee8405ba8df76aca44.png

PvM + Combat Equipment

The following perks are the recommended perks for different PVM gear.

Each gear has the reasoning / use-case for the perks by the submitter coloured in green after the perks.

Weapons:

Staff of Sliske, Camel staff, Superior Zuriel's Staff
      Slot 1: Precise 5

Highest DPS increase that is not situational. Lunging is better but requires a minimum of 3 squares distance maintained at all times.
      Slot 2: Aftershock 3
      Better than lunging in most cases due to barrage rapidly counting to it.

Inquisitor Staff
      Slot 1: Planted Feet
      Slot 2: Aftershock 3

This combo is when using INQ to AFK at Zilyana; who dies before she can reach you. Planted feet because you never move from one spot, nor are you moved, the buff is always active.

Seren Godbow, Hexhunter Bow
      Slot 1: Caroming 3
      Slot 2: Lunging 3
      CLEANUP: Lunging is the same as precise, it's the most DPS perk, but only in certain scenarios, most players in which you are ranging you often maintain that distance, personally I use it in ED2 in which I have max lunging up for all bosses.
      CLEANUP: Caroming is self explanatory, 9% DPS upgrade which beats P5's 7% Precise can be used instead of lunging if you cannot main the distance, aftershock isn't useful on a non-aoe class as the time to activate is far too long

Seismic Wand, Drygore Rapier
      Slot 1: Precise 5

Wand of Cywir Elders
      Slot 1: Demonslayer
      CLEANUP: I use this for leveling augmented armour, so I afk at abby demons, demonslayer makes short work of them, no real reason outside that, since I'm too lazy to put demon slayer on all my armour as I level them so I just put it on the wand lol

Seismic Singularity, Offhand Drygore Rapier
      Slot 1: Aftershock 3
      CLEANUP: Lunging useless for rapier since, you're never at 3 spots, you're melee so, you're usually always moving, aftershock is best for it since there's no other perks that can realistically compete, same with sing, AS3 on mages is just, the best general use option

Orb of Cywir Elders
      Slot 1: Looting / Scavenging 3
      CLEANUP: See Wand of Cywir Elders above

Shields:

Divine Spirit Shield
      Slot 1: Lucky 5
      CLEANUP: spirit shields have an inbuilt absorptive effect, lucky 5 has a 2.5% damage reduction on average, it's mainly used in Vorago for bomb tanking + green bomb fishing, it was also the center piece of my ED1 trash runs, as it allowed me to pull the entire room whilst only taking 1 damage every so often, absorptive is not used here as it's often put onto my sea singer set, however, absorptive has a 3% damage mitigation, so if you're using one or the other, pick absorptive

Merciless Kiteshield
      Slot 1: Turtling 3 / Dragon Slayer
      CLEANUP: all t90 shields have turtling on them as they're not used for consistent damage, rather swapping out once I am low enough HP To proc turtling, more of a panic button as opposed to a shield I use often. Since spirit shields have higher damage mitigation than t90 shields by default, I use T90s as a turtling swap, not as a real shield

Defenders:

Ancient Lantern
      Slot 1: Aftershock 3
      CLEANUP: same reason as singularity, I use it to upkeep my AS3 stack so I don't lose it during telos stun, as the defender negates the stun & I can ensure I hit my as3's on time

Armour:

Masterwork Platebody, Elite Tectonic Robetop, Sirenic Hauberk, Refined Anime Core Of Zamorak
      Slot 1: Ultimatums 3 / Crackling 3
      Slot 2: Biting 3
      CLEANUP: Ultimatums 3, Crackling 3, there just is no competition realistically when it comes to this perk, ultimatums makes your specs cost less, which everybody uses, and crackling is just insane DPS, no real contest or explanation needed, this is just the best general use combo Biting 3 = Same as U3/C3, after those two, getting more crits is the next priority, Biting 3 is just the best crit machine, no other perk comes close to the DPS increase (in general)

Subjugation Robetop
      Slot 1: Trophy Taker 5 / Genocidal
      Slot 2: Biting 3
      CLEANUP: All my T70 gear is my slayer gear, so I run Trophy take 5 / genocidal & biting 3 on the top, trophy taker is a 5% increase in task on average, genocidal is just a big fuckin damage boost while on task, which is nice

Superior Seasinger Robetop, Superior Deathlotus Chestplate
      Slot 1: Brief Respite 3
      Slot 2: Absorbative 3
      CLEANUP: These are seen as my "tank" sets, since they're cheap & provide massive HP Bonuses, I used these in my early testing phases for my vorago solo & ED1 trash runs as they gave the highest HP for turtling and brief respite, which allowed me more breathing room. Brief Respite 3 = This was my safety net, if I hit turtling range, brief respite ensured I lived once turtling was over, as I used 0 food, I relied on my perks & spells to keep me alive Absorbative 3 = As shown with lucky, as this has .5% more damage mitigation, it was used for the duration of the dungeon as opposed to only when I am running & collecting mobs, the .5% goes an extremely long way when you have 30+ enemies attacking you at once

Masterwork Platelegs, Elite Tectonic Robe bottom, Sirenic Chaps, Refined Anima Core of Zamorak
      Slot 1: Mobile / Enhanced Devoted 3
      Slot 2: Dragon Slayer / Genocidal
      CLEANUP: Mobile / Enhanced Devoted 3 = Mobile is just, great, as elite dungeon is a forefront of content, you're constantly running, you run alot, so you regen alot of spec, any high end boss, you move alot, like telos or vorago, or araxxor, you're constantly moving in downtime, this combined with ultimatums allows you to have really ,really high spec uptime Enhanced Devoted 3, it's free, it's just 100% free, although SS + Paramedic is just, a giant that dwarfs everything else in game, it's nice to have the ability to take 1 damage when your prayers are up given the opportunity (this goes back to my ED1 runs as it allowed me to pray range & take very little damage)
      Dragon Slayer / Genocidal I'm currently farming ED2, both of these perks help with that (except genocidal, sand plz fix), allowing a base 7% extra damage to dragons, nothing else can compete in the DPS department for ED2, This is your "free" slot, put anything you want here, can put lucky here if you want, or demon slayer, undead slayer etc etc, depending on the content you do

Subjugation Robe bottom
      Slot 1: Crackling 3 / Dragon Slayer
      Slot 2: Demon Slayer / Scavenging 2
      CLEANUP: once again, t70 is my slayer set Crackling 3 / Dragon Slayer I don't really spec when doing slayer, since I tend to afk alot, it's why I don't use mobile, I tend to just aggro pot & afk alot, crackling 3 allows for slightly faster kills & dragon slayer ensures any dragon task I do big damag Demon slayer / scavenging 2, same as dragon slayer, demon slayer ensures I can do ripper demons & such without wanting to die, scavenging 2 was just free, I wasn't sure what else to put here so I just put scavenging 2, since I have preslayion I forgo'd undead slayer since I can just skip them

Skilling

The following perks are the recommended perks for different skilling tools.

Gathering:

Imcando Mattock, Tavia's Fishing Rod
      Slot 1: Honed 5
      Slot 2: Charitable 3 + Wise 3
      CLEANUP: Honed 5 = increases chance of success, no real explanation here, makes you skill faster, which is more XP/HR, nothing super fancy Charitable 3, Wise 3 = Charitable was the biggest meme, it allowed me to give my alt a free tavia's since charitable proc'd when I fished one out, I tried it again later with the inquisitor staff pieces but I could never get enough staff pieces with the 3%, it's nothing more than a meme that has the highest potential to be amazing Wise 3 is just, more exp, nothing really explained here

Artisan:

TODO
      Slot 1: Perk 1
      Slot 2: Perk 2

• Thanks 2
  • Love 7

S45BqNs.png

The older I get, the more everyone can kiss my ass.

Recipes

Creating Perks

To start manufacturing perks, you must first create an empty weapon / armour / tool gizmo shell on an Inventor's workbench. You can find one at the home area, on the western side.

Note: Click on the underlined names of the components / materials to see where to get them from.

Weapon gizmo shell
      10 x Blade parts,  5 x Crafted parts,  2 x Strong components

Armour gizmo shell
      10 x Deflective parts,  5 x Crafted parts,  2 x Protective components

Tool gizmo shell
      10 x Head parts,  5 x Crafted parts,  2 x Precise components

After you've created your empty shell, click on it in and you will be presented with the materials picker.

image.png.bb7d2bad2ade7a47af32ed470cd29bf4.png

You can simply use the numbers 1-5 to select which of the materials you want to change.

PROTIP: You only need to type in a piece of the material's name and the game will autocomplete the rest of it.
For example: Typing in "ilu" and hitting enter, would result in Ilujankan components to be set in the slot.

image.png

image.png.fb9d8c6e8c648a02e2cddde12bf8bbf8.png

After picking the materials, you can just right-click your tasty stack of gizmo shells and choose "Create gizmo" (todo: confirm entry name), and the game presents you the possible outcomes and confirms your choice. Hopefully you'll get what you want on your first try!

Weapon Perks
Weapon perks are created within a Weapon gizmo shell and provide a plethora of useful effects that help you slap your enemies harder.

Aftershock 3
      Components: 5 x Ilujankan components

Biting 3
      Components: 5 x Direct components

Caroming 3
      Components: 5 x Shadow components

Crackling 3 + Dragon Slayer
      Components: 4 x Explosive components, 1 x Dragonfire components

Demon Slayer
      Components: 2 x Dextrous components

Demon Slayer + Scavenging 2
      Components: 3 x Precious components, 2 x Dextrous components

Looting, Scavenging 3
      Components: 5 x Precious components

Lunging 3
      Components: 5 x Avernic components

Planted Feet
      Components: 2 x Cywir components

Precise 5
      Components: 5 x Armadyl components

Ultimatums 3 + Crackling 3
      Components: 5 x Imbued components

Armor Perks
Armour perks are created within a Armour gizmo shell and help you defend against enemy slaps.

Absorbative 3
      Components: 5 x Fungal components

Brief Respite 3
      Components: 5 x Culinary components

Lucky 5
      Components: 5 x Silent components

Turtling 3 + Dragon Slayer
      Components: 3 x Evasive components, 1 x Dragonfire components

Tool Perks
Tool perks are created within a Tool gizmo shell and provide useful effects during your skilling activities.

Honed 5
      Components: 5 x Sharp components

Charitable 3 + Wise 3
      Components: 2 x Base parts, 2 x Flexible parts

• Like 3

S45BqNs.png

The older I get, the more everyone can kiss my ass.

Very nice, can't wait to check it out later to see the progress, and I will for sure use this guide, when I go for perks!

Spoiler

MY GUIDES:

How to get to the Travelling Merchant
How to get to the Travelling Merchant - Topic 3269

Chompy Birds Guide
Chompy Birds Guide - Topic 3278

Where to hand in Chronicle Fragments
Where to hand in Chronicle Fragments - Topic 3597

How to make Bullseye Lantern (Ironman Friendly)
How to make Bullseye Lantern (Ironman Friendly) - Topic 3617

Giant Mimic Boss - D&D
Giant Mimic Boss D&D - Topic 3684

Player Owned Ports Guide
Player Owned Ports Guide - Topic 3720

Bork Boss - D&D
Bork Boss D&D - Topic 3785

How to get to the Lost Grove - Slayer Creatures
How to get to the Lost Grove & the Slayer Creatures - Topic 3800

Raptor Key & Chest - Raptor Monsters
Raptor Key, Chest & Raptor Monsters - Topic 3806

Ancient Invention Guide/Overview