Locked Gambling/Staking Discussion

Slay Kid

4 minutes ago, Sandstorm said:

The main reasons I made a rule for 'No gambling' is:

• people betting their banks and then quitting if they loose (or, betting until they loose to have a reason to quit). Whenever this happens half of the time the players then proceed to blame the game, how its setup yada yada. It's never their fault for losing, the customer's always right!
  • toxicity, and/or scamming. When it happens, they call for staff. We deal with it. But.. we wouldn't be here to hold your hand for everything you do. I mean, who has the time to do that? So they end up shaming the server, and/or staff members because of their own incompetence (incompetence because lotsa times nubs fall for scams), ie "Omg, player X scammed me and I get no compensation? Shit staff, shit server"

Just some quick general thoughts from the back of my mind. There's obviously more reasons to why I dislike gambling, like addiction, rwt, eco holders shamelessly taking some players last 10m and so on.

Valid reasons, as you said blaming on the game, toxicity.. Which is never the answer. I am glad Velheim doesn't have gambling, and we are way better off for not having gambling. I wouldn't like to see staff or players getting flamed because of it, nor that anyone gets scammed.

Spoiler

MY GUIDES:

How to get to the Travelling Merchant
How to get to the Travelling Merchant - Topic 3269

Chompy Birds Guide
Chompy Birds Guide - Topic 3278

Where to hand in Chronicle Fragments
Where to hand in Chronicle Fragments - Topic 3597

How to make Bullseye Lantern (Ironman Friendly)
How to make Bullseye Lantern (Ironman Friendly) - Topic 3617

Giant Mimic Boss - D&D
Giant Mimic Boss D&D - Topic 3684

Player Owned Ports Guide
Player Owned Ports Guide - Topic 3720

Bork Boss - D&D
Bork Boss D&D - Topic 3785

How to get to the Lost Grove - Slayer Creatures
How to get to the Lost Grove & the Slayer Creatures - Topic 3800

Raptor Key & Chest - Raptor Monsters
Raptor Key, Chest & Raptor Monsters - Topic 3806

Ancient Invention Guide/Overview
Ancient Invention Guide/Overview - Topic 3821

Crafting Guide - 1-99+

Crafting Guide - 1-99+ - Topic 3901

PetTheCasket.gif.d9df0fc628039da8b1e0a952ebbe26b1.gif

I love these discussions. From entertainment and educational purposes I'll apply my education, science and knowledge within psychology to ANSWER this question, noting i'll answer it simple.

Let's assume that Velheim wanted to promote gambling? It'd put the server in a bad light from the get-go. Gambling is within the list of addictions.

For some, gambling is alright and fine, but for a lot of people it stops being enjoyable and it becomes rather compulsive. Gambling is usually designed in a way, that the host will be in favour and the participant not. When it comes to a game like Velheim, no one would host gambling if it didn't profit themself? The problem with gambling is that dopamine, the neurotransmitter the brain releases during enjoyable activities such as eating, sex and drugs, is the exact same with the game of uncertanity/potential reward related to gambling. It's not a game for -EVERYONE-. And some might say ''Can't those whom have gambling issues, just don't gamble?''. And the simple answer is NO. Putting a limit onto certain people, so others again can profit from them? It doesn't work.

From experience within the RSPS-realm, gambling has a tendency to cause a heck-ton of toxicity, and a lot of unneccesary rage-quits. In general it causes a more unstable community, rather than promoting a stable one.

I could easily write a 100 page essay regarding this matter, however I'll stick to what is mentioned above.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...