Locked Friends "help" chat is not a help chat, IMO

Lamort

***This is just my opinion, based on what I've experienced and observed over the multitude of private servers for different games I've played.***

What is currently known as "friends chat" or "fc" and "Help chat" should separated or heavily moderated (compared to what it is right now at least).

The only valid point I consider, as of right now, would be that the concurrent player count might be too small for such a "system" (for lack of words)

FC is currently a general/spam kind of chat where new and veterans alike ask for help and/or question when they need to, because there's no where else. (in game)

The "keep it family friendly" or "PG 13" is literally a meme. "Adult" topics, arguing and ranting/banter are basically the only thing ever happening in FC. (mostly bored trolls trying to stir shit up but still)
Trades (ads for selling/buying) are also common place which is mostly harmless because it's quite rare that anyone is selling anything really but kind of off putting for a "help chat"

When I joined as a new player, left FC immediately, thinking it was the usual "Worldwide/server wide general shitshow of a chat".
I remember being really off-put when I joined the "help chat" just to find out its actually the server chat.
I'm now accustomed to it and just left it permanently but honestly, I love helping people and answering question that anyone might have and I cannot do that peacefully anymore.

I understand that it might hard to look at all this objectively since the current system is probably the only thing you're accustomed to but I find it disturbing to be honest.

I'd find it hard to believe I'm the only one who thinks that but it's a pill I'm ready to swallow if that s "just the way it is"

• Lamort changed the title to Friends "help" chat is not a help chat, IMO
  • Administrator

To be honest, I agree. The banter in chat.... can sometimes can be "risqué" - it's general its just extremely hard to find that line of what is approved and what isn't.

I think that changing the 'Help' chat to a 'World' chat would probably be a good idea, and moving most "newbie" questions to Discord wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Given that players would be able to reply at most times, even when they're not playing is a nice thought to have.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

UIM Dung Storage 1 day pls
LQNtL22.gif

giphy.gif

38 minutes ago, Iron Tyrone said:

To be honest, I agree. The banter in chat.... can sometimes can be "risqué" - it's general its just extremely hard to find that line of what is approved and what isn't.

I think that changing the 'Help' chat to a 'World' chat would probably be a good idea, and moving most "newbie" questions to Discord wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Given that players would be able to reply at most times, even when they're not playing is a nice thought to have.

This. All of this.

Ever since I came back, i've always had the opinion in my mind, but I know way too many people "abuse" the chat and just never answer questions or give the simple ";;wiki query here" reply.

• Hmm 1

Torn on this. While I definitely agree FC is often off-topic, a lot of questions are better answered by wiki-ing the relevant page and getting a proper explanation rather than a shortened FC answer. There's also a lot of wrong info being given to players by self-proclaimed helpers who I won't name, but it repeats a loop. Having said that, I wouldn't be against either a newbie channel in the disc or FC getting heavily moderated. 

• Like 1

To do what I've preached.

Founding member of Bandits

• 2 weeks later...

I do agree that separate chats would help, because as others have said, the banter can takes over and questions get ignored. There's also the amount of trolling (which can be fun but isn't needed in a help chat.

Discord channel for newbies/two separate in-game chats for general and help +1

Honestly a lot of the questions I see asked in FC are ones that are easily answered by wiki. Separating chats would be fine but a lot of people enjoy the banter, though at times it could be toned down

• 1 month later...

Is it a necro, yeah probably but idc

Personally, I don't think there's a point to making a seperate chat channel.
I think it's great having an equivalent of a world chat as it's one thing I missed in RS3 compared to other MMOs I've played. It always felt like I was playing alone there and here, I know there's others.

One point is, to be brutally honest, never, ever expect players of any private server of any game to be as PG-13 as official. It's a naive attitude to have and I'm speaking from experience of uh, probably twenty plus p.servers over a few games. The very nature of what we're playing and how means we're a more... relaxed and adult community (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're a more mature community, we're immature dickheads who like tiddy jokes.) most of us don't want quite so rigid rules as in official communities.

Bottom line, 99% of things I've asked ever and seen others ask have been answered, yes there's some bants and troll answers, a lot of people telling you to just ;;wiki it (but that's a valid answer, like, do some bloody work to help yourself, people), but there's usually a legitimate answer in there somewhere and you know the player helpers and moderators don't really troll. Minor bants at worst imo. Other players aren't obligated to even answer you, let alone give you correct information. That's just life.

Tl;dr: No need. Don't like the community, don't join it.

• Pog Dance 1

kashasig.png

• 3 weeks later...

I am new here and playing for almost a week. I am still in the FC since sometimes I get some useful information or I can help someone, but I also see a lot of different thinks are talked about in the chat. Nothing wrong with that but sometimes it is annoying if you/someone else asks for help but you don't see the answer since there is a lot of other chats going on. I have seen that happen a couple of times. 

Of course it is different everywhere but it didn't take long for me to think, why isn't someone moderating this, since I see a lot of things happening in the help FC which shouldn't be happening there. 

It is called help for some reason, else it should just be called Velheim or something, just to have a chat with each other.

• 2 months later...