The (Solo) bossing ladder: Climbing Your Way Up

Twenty Weeks

Hey Velheim. One of the questions I see consistently asked is ''What boss should I do first?'' and ''Is this boss hard?'' in this thread/pseudo-guide I want to rank all bosses on solo difficulty. A few things to keep in mind:

- These rankings assume you're killing these bosses with the most effective method available for them.
- I'll try to be as objective as possible, but different people will always struggle with different things.
- Group bosses won't be included as their difficulty can be highly dependent on the team you're running with. 

Index (Use Ctrl + G to search for a specific boss) (ty @Dwarf Kush)

Spoiler

D Tier:
- Giant Mole
- Bork
- Barrows
- KBD/King Black Dragon
- DK's/Dagannoth Kings
- Commander Zilyana

C Tier:
- Kree'arra
- General Graardor
- Exiled Kalphite Queen
- Legio Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Sextus
- Kalphite Queen
- Chaos Elemental
- K'ril Tsutsaroth

B Tier:
- Tztok-Jad/TokHaar-Jad
- Helwyr
- Queen Black Dragon/QBD
- Vindicta & Gorvek

- Gregorovic
- The Twin Furies
- Legio Quintus
- Corporeal Beast
- Kalphite King/KK
- The Magister
- Har-Aken

A tier:
- Nex
- Araxxor
- Low enrage Telos

S tier:
- High enrage Telos

D tier - Hit it till it dies

Spoiler

Starting off the tier list we have bosses that require little to no preparation time at all, where just meeting the (usually low) gear requirements is enough to get consistent kills.

#32: The Giant Mole

Difficulty: 1/10
Profit potential: 1/10
Fight Duration: Medium
Reaper Task rating: Garbage, always skip unless skip not available.

IHxGLa1.png

Oh, mole. One of the most meme'd bosses now finds itself at the bottom of the list. There's genuinely 0 reason to ever visit this boss unless on a reaper assignment, in which case you'll probably be doing it begrudgingly anyways because it rewards the least points of all possible reaper tasks tied with KBD. If there ever was a reaper blacklist, this would be on everyone's list for certain. 

In terms of mechanics, the mole will dig to all 4 corners of the room (North-East, South-East, South-West, North-West) when reaching certain health tresholds. The order in which he digs is random, but he will have to go to each corner once before heading back to the center where you can kill him finally. This leads to frustrating, slow kills where you're spending more time chasing after the bastard than actually hitting him. No real set-up required either, bringing your best ranged or melee gear and praying either protect melee or soulsplit means you'll never be at risk of dying.

What about profit? Mole once again falls short. The only unique it has is the pet, which is just a tiny naked version of itself. Basically every other boss will give you more valuable base drops as well as having the chance at rares worth good money. Sorry, mole. I wish I had anything nice to say.

#31: The Bork

Difficulty: 1.5/10
Profit Potential: 1.5/10
Fight duration: Short-Medium
Reaper Task rating: N/A

50dNTsM.png

Big Ork finds itself in a weird spot as it's simultaneously one of the easiest bosses on Velheim while also being a great daily that you should definitely get into the habit of doing until you hit your cap. Bork drops a guaranteed bucketload of all base charms on each kill and can be farmed several times a day depending on your donation rank. What puts him above mole is that while he is a much shorter fight only interrupted by cutscenes, he at least consistently hits decently hard through melee prayer, meaning absolutely bottom geared players might need to bring some food to kill Bork.

Unable to be assigned as a Reaper task, Bork is purely a boss you kill for charms and the small amount of gold you can get from selling the gems that he's guaranteed to drop each kill. Other than this, Bork's a decent source of hard clues and at least consistently drops things worth a slight amount of money, putting him slightly ahead of our burrowing friend in terms of profit.

Pray Melee, bring your best single target gear and nuke this ugly green fella until he dies, his minions will never hit you through prayer!

#30: The Barrows Brothers

Difficulty: 1.5/10
Profit Potential: 4/10
Fight Duration: Medium-Long
Reaper Task Rating: Terrible.

mBmdd40.png

Good ol' Barrows. One of the oldest minigames/bosses in the game has gotten obliterated by powercreep over time. Not that it was ever gigantically challenging to begin with.

The difficulty of Barrows comes mostly from just how boring it is to spend more time running than actually killing the bosses, and each boss is practically a target dummy provided you're praying correctly. The only exception is Verac, who can hit up to 200 through prayer. 

Barrows Reapers provide some of the lowest points available and are pretty damn slow as they only count when opening the chest. However, if you want to sacrifice your drop potential and enter the tunnel the moment you discover it you can actually make these tasks pretty fast. 

Unlike our previous 2 entries, Barrows actually has 2 items that are worth quite a bit of gold, especially for starting players. The Barrows Amulet and Kharil's 2-handed Crossbow are both worth a lot of money to high level players wishing to unlock the Dharok's Memento Archaeology relic or their t70 ranged defender respectively. This can make Barrows a fun minigame to farm but there's way better options out there for people looking to turn a profit.

#29: The King Black Dragon

Difficulty: 
2/10
Profit Potential: 3/10
Fight Duration: Short
Reaper Task Rating: Alright.

Ld2eWnX.png

Hail to the king, baby. You'll notice some of RS's oldest bosses make up the bottom of this list. That's simply because they were made for a different era where gear and player power were much worse. KBD only boxes the rest of the inferior competition out of the way because he does have some mechanics behind his 3 brains' worth of smarts. Without antipoison and antifire, you'll have a bad time fighting this big ugly. 

I never personally minded KBD reapers that much. They're not worth many points, in fact they're tied with Giant Mole reapers at a measly 10 base points, so if that's all you're after, you could afford a reroll, but I will say there's many worse tasks to do than him. He's simple, can be outhealed with just soulsplit or food for lower geared players, drops guaranteed dragon bones, has a chance at rare dragon rider gear and has a chance at one of the cleanest looking boss pets in the game. KBD is a decent way to check if your current gear can out-soulsplit some higher entries on the list as well.

#28: The Dagannoth Kings

Difficulty: 
1/10 for one king, 6/10 for all three
Profit Potential: 2/10
Fight Duration: Short-Medium
Reaper Task Rating: Mediocre.

62VvvQN.png

How not to do DK's, I died after taking this screenshot.

Individually, the kings are very simple. Praying against their relevant combat style and using their weakness against them means you can afk them pretty consistently. Things get dicey when you aggro more than 1 king at a time, but this won't happen if you stay out of the effective aggro range of any unwanted big Dagannoth boys. Stick to the walls is my best advice. 

The kings lose out on the profit front though. While decent for ironmen, also dropping the hatchet required for the best hatchet in the game, the Dagannoth rings aren't worth all that much currently coming in at a few mill each. That will definitely change if Sandstorm ever decides to introduce the Rex Matriarchs, though! I'll update this if that happens.

For reapers, there's many tasks you'd rather do than DK's. It's at the level where you don't roll away because it's easy, but you also don't really like doing it either.

#27: Commander Zilyana

Difficulty: 3/10
Profit Potential: 3/10
Reaper Task Rating: Solid.

1fQuKfk.png

Before the high score reset, the #1 killer of this boss had over 90.000 kills on her. That should give you a decent indication how difficult this boss is to farm. I can relatively consistently kill Zilyana before she even reaches my character upon respawning, and players with less gear can also just camp the entrance. This will trap the melee minion which means you only have to deal with the commander herself and the other two minions in the room. Well-geared players can enter the boss room, turn on auto retaliate, soul split, alt tab and come back to a completed reaper.

Speaking of Reapers, I'll always gladly do Zil ones. Not only because of the aforementioned ease, she shares the same point gain as all other GWD generals. In terms of drops, Zilyana drops a set of necklaces for all styles that are decent midgame gear, a cool pet and a set of decent crossbows. Nothing to write home about, but she also consistently drops gold which is always useful!

I will say, one knock on Zilyana and every other GWD boss is the prereq to get to killing them without the Greater Gods perk. Getting 25 KC is an annoying task for basically all GWD/GWD2 bosses and will slow down your reaper trip by a bit if you lack the perk.

C Tier: Some Effort Required

Spoiler

Bosses on here generally require a bit more gear and start introducing basic mechanics.

#26-25: My Dad beat your Dad (Kree'arra & General Graardor)

Difficulty: 5/10
Reaper Task Rating: Decent.

nkiS5g3.png eFdvWiV.png
Our first multi feature on the list lets us stay in GWD1. The reason these 2 generals get lumped together is because in terms of gameplay their fights act very similarly to one another. High level players can soulsplit for the win and low level players will get slapped around a bit more and require more food.  The primary step up from the D tier here is therefore also just the sheer amount of damage these bosses and their minions put out. Both can rip through your inventory of food with relative ease if you're not prepared to tank the onslaught thrown your way. 

In terms of profit, both Graardor and Kree drop great gear that can last you for quite a while and is in decently high demand on the G.E as well. This makes them fun to do, as you always have a chance at big ticket drops.  They provide the same reaper points as Zilyana, but are slower than her in terms of task speed. Still a good option!

Pray ranged when Graardor spawns, then swap to melee when he gets close, killing the magic minion first to take as little damage as possible. For Kree, soulsplitting or ranged prayer are your best bet, you can't prevent the displacement by camping the door unlike RS3, so you'll have to tank all 3 minions at once most of the time. It's best to hard focus Kree, then go kill the melee and mage minions. Both bosses have pretty consistent food drops, too, allowing you to extend your trips.

#24: Exiled Kalphite Queen

Difficulty: 5/10
Profit Potential: 1/10
Fight Duration: Medium
Reaper Task Rating: Bad.

7QgSrzb.png

Just me shooting at the ranged-praying KQ. 3 guesses how much damage that attack did, nice guide btw.

There's a certain irony that the exiled version of the Kalphite Queen is easier than the regular, old-school version on here. The simple reason is that as long as you pray magic and have antipoison with you, the queen will literally never hit you unlike her older counterpart. The only damage in this fight will come from the 2 Kalphite guardians in the room that will hit with fairly hard-hitting melee attacks and will regularly jump you while fighting their royal highness. As well as this, KQ takes 0 damage from the attack styles she prays against, meaning you are forced to melee her first phase and range/mage her second. This means you need to bring proper switches, making it an annoying, non-afk boss that also doesn't reward a lot of points on reaper tasks.

KQ has no drops. That's it. Legit, there's 0 reason to farm this boss for drops unless you want a dragon chainbody for the desert collection log or are going for IFB. If you can afford to, avoid this big mean bug.

#23-19: The Legio Quintet (Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Sextus)

Difficulty: 4/10
Profit Potential: 10/10* 
*: Requires unique drop from all SIX Legiones, Quintus appears later in the list. 
Reaper Task Rating: Good.

twDUt6q.png

I hope you like strange floaty cyan men, because if you aspire to get the best weapons in the game, you'll be seeing them quite a lot. The Legios are all very rhythmic bosses. and they all share a common mechanic. When they raise their hands in the sky and seem to throw a big ball of energy upwards, move a couple (3) spots away from where you were standing when the animation started, as a big aoe zone will crash down and do harsh typeless damage several times until you move out or it disappears. Each Legione varies slightly from the next, but knowing how to consistently dodge this and pray against their magic attack if they have it will ensure you get smooth kills.

Legiones are a bit of a tough boss to measure profit on. In terms of raw profit, they're not great. They only give Ascension shards and relatively unnoteworthy drops. However, each Legione has a 1/50 chance of dropping their signet, a unique untradeable item which is 1/6th of an ascension crossbow, the best ranged weapons in the game. These big boys sell for well over a billion gp per set, but they require a lot of farming which is also an expensive process, as Legiones require a key to enter their arena and be killed, and one key only equals one kill per Legio.

As for Reapers, they're fine. Not great, not bad. They provide good points and if you have keys laying around you might as well spend them to get your task done. I've never rolled away from a Legione reaper and I don't think you should either.

#18: Kalphite Queen (The other one)

Difficulty: 
5/10
Profit Potential: 1/10
Reaper Task Rating: Bad.

6yIg1I7.png

Functionally, this fight is nearly identical to her ''stronger'' twin sister a few spots up on the list. The only difference is that old-school KQ swaps randomly between all combat styles, meaning you actively have to prayer flick between several protection prayers to nullify damage. If you ever get a KQ reaper, I'd strongly advise doing the exiled version instead, save yourself the trouble. Their loot tables are the exact same, too. Not much else to say here, avoid if possible.

#17: The Chaos Elemental

Difficulty: 
4-7/10, depending on if Brazil is online.
Reaper Task Rating: Bad.

alZ9Cz9.png 3GsiQow.png

Guide-making spoon ig?

Elly the Chaos Elly isn't hard in a traditional sense. Bringing your max gear means you blow through this boss like a hot wind through the Bayou. Its difficulty lies in it being the only boss that you don't want to get a broadcast on because of PKers, and because of this you'll usually go in with a slightly worse gear set that you can afford to lose when farming this boss. 

Elly also hits kinda hard, and will constantly stun you (sometimes locking you for up to 8s straight) meaning you can't heal back up. Generally an unsafe boss with no real valuable drops is not going to be near the top of anyone's to-do list, and I usually skip chaos ely reapers as a result. Despite their low KC requirement, the relative risk to point ratio isn't worth it to me. It can drop some valuable items like Statius' Warhammer, though.

#16: K'ril Tsutsaroth

Difficulty: 
Fluctuates.
Fight Duration: Very short-short
Reaper Task Rating: Good.

lKEzC35.png

Closing out B tier is our final GWD1 main 4 general, K'ril. He's a hard boss to measure due to the fact that it varies wildly how quick you kill  him on a kill to kill basis, and therefore it varies wildly how much damage you take. K'ril applies a potent poison, so make sure you're antipoisoned before starting your instance. If you can consistently kill K'ril in less than 10 seconds, you'll generally have a great time farming this boss. However, be wary of AFKing as he will randomly decide to spam his slam attack 3 times in a row and send you right back to death's office if you're not paying attention. 

This is why I say K'ril's difficulty fluctuates, he's one of the most annoying bosses in terms of RNG and while very quick, can also be very lethal. Ranged or blood barrage is your best bet, sit in the corner and camp soulsplit while keeping your prayer points low-ish to reduce the damage of his slam attack. Like all other GWD1 generals, K'ril is a good reaper and becomes a nice quick one if you have Greater Gods.

B-tier: How's Your Footwork?

Spoiler

Bosses in this tier will require more movement, prayer flicking or a combination of both. They might hit less hard than bosses in C tier when done properly, but have more mechanics or base damage to make up for it.

#15: TzTok-Jad/TokHaar-Jad

Difficulty:  6/10 (Fight Caves difficulty)
Profit Potential: 1.5/10
Fight Duration: Long (Fight Kiln) - Extremely Long (Fight Caves)
Reaper Task Rating: Good (Fight Kiln) - Bad (Fight Caves).

ZBgVrM7.png

The notorious J.A.D wiggles it's way onto the bottom of B tier. One of RuneScape's most iconic solo monsters, Jad is the same no matter where you face him. The gatekeeper of the fire cape, he is the final boss of the Fight Caves and a recurring monster in the fight kiln. Jad's difficulty lies in being the ultimate prayer flick check, as he can 1 shot even a max hp player without boosts if praying incorrectly. When Jad gets on his rear legs and spits a fireball, it's magic. When he stomps the ground in front of him, that's ranged. The reason I rate jad as a long-very long fight is because of the road required to get to it, not the boss itself. 

For Reapers, Jad is actually fairly solid once you've completed the fight caves. Over 20 points for just getting to Wave 10 of fight kiln certainly isn't bad, I'd always do that reaper if offered. In terms of profit, Jad doesn't drop anything directly, but he does serve as a boss monster in the fight kiln, which can give hella onyxes when farmed. 

#14: Helwyr

Difficulty: 
6/10
Reaper Task Rating: Great.

bvX2LeA.png

The general of Seren is a step up from his clown compatriot in c tier, but he still doesn't bring much to the table to a well-geared player. What sets Helwyr apart is that despite his main movement mechanic being piss easy to dodge and not even affecting you most kills, he does do quite nasty damage during his ''You cannot escape me!'' attack, which stacks up quickly and can tear through a lower geared player's food supplies. Is it possible to Soulsplit this guy? Absolutely, in fact I recommend you use soulsplit anyways. The only reason Helwyr didn't quite make C tier is because I feel he has better KO potential than all other bosses in there. 

Helwyr drops some cool items and has one of the best boss pets of them all, but he's not great consistent money due to the non-existent demand for his weapons. Having said that, much like all other GWD2 generals you should always take Helwyr reapers when offered. They're quick, easy points and will serve to help you build a nice stash of Reaper points.

#13: Queen Black Dragon

Difficulty: 
6/10

sux3dLi.png

Those familiar with this boss will shake their heads at this placement. I get it. QBD is not that hard of a fight once you get the hang of its base mechanics, but that's exactly what this list is for. To someone absolutely new to RS3 and its bosses, QBD will provide a significant challenge. Firewalls, spirits, chasing circles, dragonkin relics, oh my! It also doesn't help that the fight is 4 phases long with each phase getting progressively harder than the last. The firewalls will at least always have their gap in the same spot, though.

Learning QBD is a good way to practice basic movement planning and damage prioritizing, as with lower gear you are going to have a much harder time just bruteforcing this boss. A kill will take a few minutes at first, and you'll see all this boss has to offer in that time. Keep a cool head, focus on mechanics by dodging firewalls, running circles into spirits when they spawn and killing spirits when QBD starts healing off them! See, Greg? Healing spirits are all the rage.

As for profit, QBD drops fairly consistent money, dragon bones and onyx bolt tips, all of those are valuable. They just have better sources. It's not a bad boss by any means, just outdated. Due to the length of the fight, it's not a great reaper task either. However, I wouldn't skip it.

#12: Vindicta & Gorvek

Difficulty: 
5/10
Profit Potential: 8/10

x2HcMGC.png

The poster child boss for many a Velheim player, Vindicta is a fiercely popular boss for new and veteran players alike and it's not hard to see why. This boss is literally the perfect teacher for basic mechanics on Velheim. It introduces basic movement mechanics, a prayer flick to minimize damage and has great drops to boot!

1-2-spin-1-2-breath, that's going to be your bread and butter for learning Vindicta's p1. After 2 autoattacks, she will spin for a heavier melee hit, this can be dodged but is generally just tanked. 2 more autoattacks, and Gorvek will cover your current location with a vertical or horizontal breath (purple smoke) which hits for rapid typeless damage. Move out of this quickly and repeat this cycle until half health. The pattern then becomes 1-2-ranged-1-breath. The ranged hit is much harder-hitting than Vindicta's melee attacks and can be quickly prayer flicked, it is shortly thereafter followed by another breath which follows the same rules as the one in p1.

So what about drops? Vindicta's got you covered. The big ticket item you want is the Dragonrider Lance, a high level melee 2-handed weapon that is worth over a 100 million coins and is always in demand due to the components it disassembles into. However, even without big drops you'll still make consistent profits at Vindicta. She will often drop noted dragonbones, between 150 and 250 of them at a time. These are very easy to sell at around 10-12k each and it's not uncommon to finish an hour here with over a 1000 in your inventory. This also makes Vindicta the best way to train prayer!

Yes, Vindicta's great and like her GWD2 brethren is also an amazing reaper. I highly recommend learning this boss as one of your first, you'll have a great time.

#11: Gregorovic

Difficulty: 7/10
Reaper Task Rating: Great

fDVJ5sW.png

Gregorovic is a tale of why bullying is a bad thing. I used to have this guy near the top of C tier as his previous version did not pose much of a threat at all and could be fully afk'd by just standing near the middle of the arena. Since then, Greg has received updates to bring him much closer to his RS3 counterpart and now actually has most of his mechanics in place.

Dodge Greg's glaive rain by moving out of dark spots on the floor while making an active choice on whether or not you fully commit to nuking down Greg while taking an onslaught of shadow clone attacks or playing it safer and removing some of the clones before committing to the kill. Greg is a good DPS check and is a great boss to see yourself and your gear get better on.

Greg has a few items worth a decent chunk of change on his droptable. The Shadow Glaives are disassembled into Shadow Components, a needed ingredient for the Caroming perk which is one of the best options for 2h ranged weaponry in endgame. Like all other GWD2 bosses, Greg's a great reaper due to a strong point budget being attached to a relatively quick task.

#10: The Twin Furies

Difficulty: 
7/10
Profit Potential: 5/10
Reaper Task Rating: Good-Great

1x0dp8w.png
Day 600 of lockdown: These demon girls got me acting up.

The final main GWD2 general which I consider to be the most tough at a base level. The twin generals of Zamorak are simultaneously the most rhythmic as well as the least AFK boss in the heart barring Telos. The fight plays out the same each kill: Dodge Avaryss 4 times by moving 1 square out of her dash line, get close to Nymora, nuke both twins in the center before they finish their channel, repeat. What makes them the hardest boss to learn to me is that they not only require the highest DPS of them all due to sharing a health pool (countered by using a weapon such as DRL, Nox Scythe or blood barrage) but are also the most movement intensive of all 4 generals. Sure, Vindicta has her dragon breath and Helwyr will summon some mushrooms, but no general requires as much input from the player as these two do.

Having said that, this boss is easy to pick up and learn and once you've done it properly once or twice, you'll be able to consistently kill them quickly. The higher gear requirement with requiring an AOE melee weap or high magic set-up to get kills consistently without letting them finish the channel is what pushes them ahead of their competition to me.

In terms of drops, not amazing. Avernic components are the least valuable of all main GWD2 comps, and while the pets are very cool (there's 2 of em, too!) the melee weaps they drop are next to worthless. Once again, if you have the gear they're an amazing reaper assignment.

#9: Legio Quintus

Difficulty: 
7/10
Profit Potential: 10/10, shared with other Legios
Reaper Task Rating: Solid, shared with other Legios.

hfkYESw.png

Legio Quintus and his fuck-you grid

What sets Quintus apart from his fellow Legiones? Simply put, those goddamn laser beams. Combine the constant movement of other Legiones with 3 separate beams spawning at certain health tresholds which kill you in mere ticks. Like other Legios, there is a rhythm to the fight and once you get used to putting the beams as far away as possible to leave you with the most navigation room possible, this fight really isn't so bad. Honestly, this entire rating is moreso a personal vendetta as this guy was the only one that killed me on my Ascension grind. Just don't get caught running along a grid line right as it spawns, you'll be having tea with death. One tip I can give is that on multi-kill trips, the first laser will always spawn immediately after you aggro Quint on each kill after your first. This means you can consistently place it out of the way.

Drops and reaper tasks are the same as the other Legiones. The only reason I'd ever go back to quint is if I got all other signets again through reapers, though. 

#8: Corporeal Beast

Difficulty: 
7/10
Reaper Task Rating: Average.

DwyrGi2.png

I might overrate corp a bit, I will say that there's going to be a major jump between bosses in this tier and A/S tier. Corp becomes hard due to the fact that only 1 weapon type is effective against it (Spears) which means you have to go out of your way to obtain one and go in with a set-up that will probably be less than optimal. Then, once you're in Corp isn't a push over either. He will attack with magic (opening his mouth and reaching down) or melee (a variety of slam and swipe attacks). Melee will hit quicker than magic, meaning the optimal strat is to camp melee prayer and swap to magic prayer when you see him lean down. Sometimes the magic animation won't trigger either, and you'll more often than not take a fat hit which takes up to 400 hp off in 1 swoop. Praying won't fully block attacks either, and corp will still chip away at your health with perfect pray switches. Finally, corp can summon an add which will deal light magic damage regularly and heal him for a small amount of HP. Killing this add is simple, just stab it.

What about drops? Corp is go big or go home, and going big isn't even that great. Elysian and Divine sigils alongside Spirit Shields and Holy Elixirs will be your main items you are gonna want from here, but it's not going to give you a huge cash stack, with a full elysian selling for around 150m at best. 

In general, Corp isn't a great boss due to the difficulty and intensity not reflecting the reward.  I begrudgingly do corp reapers as they're usually pretty short and give decent points, but I wouldn't blame you if you opted to skip them.

#7: The Kalphite King

Difficulty: 7/10
Profit Potential: 6/10

bbXbaph.png
Blue wings flappin', good things happen

The final royal Kalphite enters highly on our list at #6. Despite this rating, I want to emphasize that KK is not a super hard boss and can be pseudo-afk'd because of the way his special attacks work. There will be times where you're going to take longer spawning the right version of KK than you will spend actually killing the correct one. KK can spawn in 3 forms: Melee (Yellow wings), ranged (Bright green wings) and magic (Blue-green wings). Magic is the only worthwhile KK to kill, as you can pray against his attacks and nullify the attacks of the adds he spawns simultaneously. The only things KK does you need to watch out for are: A burrowing attack that will trace you and deal huge damage if you don't run away from it when he unburrows, a shield that will heal him for all damage you deal to him while it's up, a charge attack that is best dodged by standing absolutely still and a super heal which you can do nothing against and will only extend your kill time a little.

KK is a heavily farmed boss due to the fact he drops the Perfect Chitin, the item needed to make your t90 defender. As well as this, he uncommonly drops drygore weaponry which has a stable demand due to its strength as t90 melee weapons as well as them disassembling into rumbling components.

KK Reaper tasks will only be assigned if you have group tasks enabled, and count for 22 points. This makes them quite average for points, awarding less than GWD2 bosses, while also taking a while with KK's high damage output and spawn RNG. I'd personally not reroll it, but they're slow tasks. 

#6: The Magister

Difficulty: 7-9/10, depending on RNG
Reaper Task Rating: Amazing.

TYBobAm.png
On today's episode of ''Bosses You Just Remembered Existed''

Oreb, the Magister of Menaphos, shooter of fireballs and summoner of adds that are inconvenient to pray against. Like K'ril earlier in the list, Oreb's difficulty can vary wildly on a kill by kill basis depending on which special attacks he chooses to use. Unlike K'ril, Oreb doesn't die in 3 hits. Between bombs that you need to move away from (''Dodge this!''), a massive ranged hit (him charging red energy within himself), a self-heal that does heavy magic damage to you and finally a set of 2 adds that can be ranged, melee or magic, Oreb has quite an arsenal of abilities at his disposal that can make your kills be either smooth rides from 100 to 0 or stressful eatfests that require you to be on your tippy toes. My general advice is as follows: Always move away from bombs, kill adds unless they're 2 of the same combat style, in which case pray against them (they won't hit you) and flick on magic prayer when he channels his self-heal. 

Your profit from Oreb will come very, very slowly. His base drops aren't bad, but it's the phylacteries he drops which you're going to want a LOT of that are your ticket to the big bucks. You see, these phylacteries contain scraps, 300 scraps = 1 best in slot 1h melee weapon. I'm skipping over some steps here, but that's the general idea. This won't come quickly, though, as phylacteries are an uncommon drop and contain anywhere from 5 to 25 scraps per piece. 

As a Reaper, this boss is fantastic. Usually only requiring 3-4 kills and awarding 27 points, Magister reapers should be one of the main reasons you push slayer to 115 and above. Love you Oreb, please don't summon a ranger and melee next time I come around alright?

#5: Har-Aken 

Difficulty: 
8/10 (All of Fight Kiln)
Fight Duration: Very Long
Reaper Task Rating: Decent.

a9TMnoA.png

So you conquered the fight caves, good work! Now try your luck at the fight kiln. A shorter, intenser version of the caves where you'll fight through wave after wave of rock-hard obsidian TzHaar. The Kiln will test your mettle at safespotting, prayer flicking and resource management. Certain waves will put you at the brink of death quickly or flat-out overpower you if you don't come in well-prepared. It's only after 36 of these painstaking waves that you may face off against the final boss of the Kiln: Har-Aken.

Luckily for you, the boss is a complete joke! I'm serious. Har-Aken just kinda sits there and dies while you destroy it with your crystal-enhanced style of choice. The only thing he does is summon ranged and magic tentacles, which hit fairly hard and accurate but have super low resistances and are easy to clear up. Har-Aken's head will occasionally surface, which is your ticket to pump said head full of bolts, magic or stab wounds. The difficulty for Har-Aken's ranking comes purely from the gauntlet before him. Refer to the Kiln waves on the RS wiki here.

As for Reapers and profit, Har-Aken is a big budget task at 37 reaper points, but takes a fair bit to get to due to the requirement of clearing all of the kiln. Clearing the kiln will also reward you with the second-best-in-slot capes in the game: the TokHaar-Kal-Ket (Melee), TokHaar-Kal-Xil (Ranged) and TokHaar-Kal-Mej (Magic). If you already have all 3 capes, you can opt for 5 onyxes instead! These sell fairly well and are a decent money option when heading into the kiln for farm runs.

A-Tier: The Big Three

Spoiler

The bosses in here will combine everything you've learned so far, and add extra things like DPS checks, longer fights, consistent damage or a combination of them all. Let's dive right in!

#4: Nex

Difficulty: 
8/10
Profit Potential: 10/10
Reaper Task Rating: Great
6afmIxg.png

Nex is a great boss. Learning Nex is one of the most rewarding, fun and intense experiences you'll have on Velheim. While you can sneak some kills with lower level gear, it's advised to at least have t80 weapons and t70 gear to get your first farming kills. Nex has too many mechanics to list in these brief segments, but let's take a brief look at all of her phases:
P1: Smoke Phase, Nex will poison you, drag you around and disable your prayer and dash wildly around the arena in one of the 4 lanes leading to the middle which will do huge damage if you get caught
P2: Shadow Phase, Nex will summon dark clouds under your feet which explode for massive damage if you don't move out while peppering you with high-damage ranged attacks
P3: Blood Phase, Nex will summon 4 hard-hitting melee adds that need to be killed or trapped, mark you for a heavy magic hit if you don't move away and sometimes absorb all damage turning it into health
P4: Ice Phase, Nex will drain prayer, freeze you and occasionally put you in an ice prison which you need to break out of by clicking on the icicles surrounding you
P5: Zaros Phase, Nex nukes you with melee while healing for some of the damage she deals, gains back the rush attack from p1 and explodes on death.
Did I mention each of the first 4 phases end with you having to kill an add before you can go back on Nex?

So, plenty to do and to see. Even experienced players come back to Nex. Why? Simply put, the boss has some of the best drops in the game that are in consistent demand. She drops high level melee, ranged and magic gear which can also be smithed into essences needed to craft the best armours for their respective styles in the game! Plenty of items will net you crazy profits at Nex, and a roughly 1/10 droprate to hit this rare table certainly isn't bad! I highly, highly recommend you go try Nex out and try to learn the boss. You'll have a great time and make great money.

As for Reaper tasks, Nex is similar to Kalphite King in the sense that she will only be assigned as a task if you have group bosses enabled. If you do, she's an awesome reaper worth good points!

#3: Araxxor/Araxxi AKA the Homewrecking

Difficulty: 
9/10
Fight Duration: Long-Very Long, depending on path taken and execution

0oPuMMb.png

The ability I guarantee you will curse at at least once when farming this boss

Araxxor, Araxxor. The big ugly spider and his loving girlfriend Araxxi. Have you ever dreamed of invading a peaceful family's home and murdering them and their children? Then do I have a boss for you. Araxxor truly is too complex to explain in a segmented little sequence like this but is much lower damage than Nex overall when executed properly. This means the gear requirement for an Araxxor kill is also lower, but what can you expect from this boss?

Araxxor, much like Nex and #2 and 1 is a multi-phase boss that has several mechanics each phase. What separates it from Nex and #2/1 is that the player has the option to choose which mechanics they want to deal with from phase 2 and onward. 2 so called ''paths'' will be open each day, and each path adds unique mechanics to the fight that will change your strategy and require careful play to prevent getting sent right back to Death. The fight climaxes with a face-off against Araxxi, his mate, where it's a race against the clock as the lower HP she gets, the more dangerous the fight becomes... 

The RS Wiki has an amazing strategy guide that you can refer to when learning a path. Once you've mastered all 3 paths, you can safely consider yourself a real Spider-man/woman! 

So why bother? Araxxor is your pathway to strong 2-handed tier 90 weapons. The Noxious Scythe is the most valuable, clocking in at a respectable 350-450m as of current rates. These weapons consist out of 3 leg pieces (top, middle and bottom, depending on the path you chose) and a hilt which is dependent on the colour of Araxxor's legs (Red for melee like the picture, green for ranged, blue for magic)

Finally, Araxxor is a solid reaper, especially when the bot path is open. Due to its high level nature, it has a great point budget attached to it and serves as one of the best ways to get points.

Raxx is an amazing boss to hone your mechanics on, as it really has everything inside of it, dangerous 1 shots, tight movement, priority targeting, dodging, off-ing, the whole shebang.

#2: Telos (0-2000% Enrage)

Difficulty: 
7/10 ramping up to 10/10
Profit Potential: 10/10
Fight Duration: Long-Very Long

Wd9U5py.png

The great warden of the Heart, Telos is your final test of endurance and will put everything you've learned to the test. A multi-phased fight with an extra, even harder phase once you get past 100% enrage, Telos is everything you could want from a solo boss. Phases 1 through 3 will have you dealing with different beams that need soaking or moving out of, special attacks, stuns and heavy hits while p4 will force you to sacrifice your own health to prevent certain death, pepper you with adds and try your best to avoid a gigantic bomb being thrown in your face. As for phase 5... chaos. A virus that needs to be cleansed by the right beam, the roof collapsing on your head all while Telos is gathering his strength to erase your very existence from the heart. Fighting Telos is an adventure, and the drops are even more enticing.

Telos works with the kill streak and enrage systems, meaning that each kill you do at your maximum enrage makes your next kill slightly higher enrage, therefore slightly more difficult, and award better loot. Yet as well as this, each kill you decide to not claim your loot and instead push your killstreak further increases your chances at Telos's coveted rare drops and the amount of items you get from non-rare drops. You can build up a huge loot chest this way as you make your way to the T92 rares like the Seren Godbow and Zaros Godsword, but 1 death and Telos claims his items back, leaving you nearly empty-handed.... 

Telos is an awesome fight and should be the end-goal of any solo-oriented PVMer. Great drops even without the rares, awesome and intense phases and the best reaper points per task, what's not to like? Yet.....

S-tier: The True Warden

Spoiler

#1: Telos (2001-4000% Enrage)

Difficulty: 
10/10
Profit potential: 10/10
Fight Duration: Long-Very Long

Y8WGZX9.png

So you've killed Telos, great work, great work indeed young one. Yet, legends speak of those mad few that have pushed beyond what any world guardian is realistically capable of and killed the infamous warden at enrages so hardcore they make your head spin. Telos at high enrage is only for the select few that A. Have the time and dedication to push their enrage so high and B. are skilled enough at Telos's base mechanics to perform this feat.

Streaking Telos from 2000% upwards is going to net you some of the best loot in the game at insane rates. Those that can should absolutely put the time in to learn, so they may hope to join those legendary few that have truly shown what it means to be called ''The Warden''.

The Reaper and You: Footnote

Spoiler

I've talked a lot about Reaper tasks and points, but what even are they? Why bother? Reaper assignments are boss slayer tasks given you to by Death. They reward reaper points, a currency separate to slayer points which give access to awesome unlocks and rewards. To access death's office in the... non-conventional way, head to Ctrl + S and click the green hourglass.

M0t7vb1.png

Head up the walkway and talk to Death. Ask him for a new assignment to get assigned a Reaper task! Tasks will reward points depending on length and boss difficulty.

ggoKTJP.png

Let's take a look at the rewards and briefly touch upon each one.

yMM6dlY.png

Death Notes cost 40 reaper points each. 4 can be combined with a cut Hydrix to create a Book of Death once unlocked. This means a book of death will at minimum cost you 1000 Reaper points if buying all resources from scratch.
* The Incomplete Hydrix is the most versatile reward in the shop and the most commonly purchased one. Hydrixes are made into the most powerful jewellery in the game including the Amulet of Souls, Deathtouch Bracelet, Reaper Necklace, Ring of Death and Essence of Finality Amulet. They are always in high demand, meaning that even if you don't need any yourself it's still always worthwhile to do your reaper tasks!

swqhBOg.png

Aura Refreshes allow you to instantly refresh the cooldown on any aura depending on its tier. Tier 4 allows you to refresh things like Supreme Runic Accuracy/Sharpshooter/Brawler auras, tier 3 covers Reckless/Maniacal/Berserker and tier 2 covers Vampyrism/Penance as their respective most important/useful refreshes.

AqBcicw.png

Death's Deal is the most expensive unlock in the shop and helps you save charges on items that degrade when dying. This means that instead of losing 10%, you'll lose 5%, or 2.5% instead of 5% where applicable. Very good if you're a.... bit of a reckless bosser

ZJN1TB6.png

Book of Death unlocks the ability to craft the Book of Death pocket item, an item that can 1 shot low hp mobs or do huge hits to bosses when it procs, it uses death notes from the first page as its charges.
Reaper's Choice randomly gives you the ability to select 1 of 2 options when receiving a new Reaper task. 
Rainbow & Grave Loot beams are cosmetic changes to your loot beams that trigger when you get a rare/valuable drop.

nNK2hMG.png

Bonfire Booster will make the HP boost from Bonfires last 25% longer, worth up to 15 minutes from high level bonfires.
Instance Cost will make it 25% cheaper to buy any instance and will save you a lot of money in the long run.
Reaper Scroll increases the big slayer XP gained at the end of a reaper assignment by another 25%!

Finally, completing Reaper Tasks will give you two cosmetics: Death's Scythe override when completing 100 Reaper tasks and Tiny Death Pet when completing 200 tasks!

XbFLw8X.png

Assuming you're going for the completionist cape (t) requirement and are doing all your reapers on a daily basis I recommend the following unlock order:

Reaper's Choice to maximize point gain > Instance Cost to reduce gold spent on instances long term > Death's Deal to reduce item durability loss long-term > Bonfire Booster due to the QoL/Reaper's Scroll if you're on low XP rates > Whichever of the two you didn't get before > Book of Death due to its lack of useful purposes on VH > The two Loot Beams. 

However, you're free to spend your points any way you want. Good luck and happy reaping!

I hope you enjoyed this little rating of each solo boss in Velheim. Let me know what bosses you'd swap around, and thanks for reading! Good luck on your PVM adventures.

~ Twenty Weeks

• Like 3
  • +1 1
  • Love 4
  • Love 1

To do what I've preached.

Founding member of Bandits

1 hour ago, Solid Ramen said:

Nice guide, forgot kiln + caves though which are both available reapers.

Agreed, I'll add both bosses soon. I'll rate them based on minigame difficulty, though, as both bosses individually aren't a big challenge.

EDIT: Death gave me a nice Har-Aken reaper. Both bosses have now been added under B tier with the full minigame in question as their difficulty rating.

• Pog Dance 1

To do what I've preached.

Founding member of Bandits